The apology comes weeks after jailed former cricket instruct and convicted paedophile Ian King had almost 3 years added to his sentence over an historical sexual offence regarding a teenage boy.
Australia’s cricket board has apologised to survivors of child sexual abuse who were concerned in the sport and called on its contributors to sign up for a country wide redress scheme.
The apology comes weeks after jailed former cricket train and convicted paedophile Ian King had nearly three years added to his sentence over an historic sexual offence regarding a teenage boy.
Cricket Australia’s chair Lachlan Henderson stated ancient infant sex abuse became “an appalling issue” that society and lots of sports activities, along with cricket, had been grappling with.
“We can not change what befell however we want to do what we are able to to assist sufferers,” Henderson said in a announcement on Monday.
“On behalf of CA I need to apologise to absolutely everyone who has suffered sexual abuse while involved in Australian cricket.
“While we now have a rigorous set of rules and procedures round baby safety, we need to ensure we’re assisting everyone who has experienced past abuse as high-quality we are able to.”
CA is pushing its member states and territories to sign on to a redress scheme installation by using the Australian government in 2018 to compensate sufferers of institutional infant sex abuse.
“We are encouraging all states and territories to join the National Redress Scheme (NRS) and the CA board is currently exploring other approaches that Australian Cricket can further help victims of abuse,” Henderson delivered.
Only Western Australia has signed as much as the NRS, the Sydney Morning Herald said on Monday.
Cricket ACT, the sport’s governing body within the Australian Capital Territory, applied to sign up for the scheme in 2020 but turned into rejected by way of government over concerns it lacked the ability to compensate victims.